Wot ive bin up ta since i rived, like:
- Eating ugali and sukuma wiki at Mama Benja’s
- ‘Breakfast’ consisting of rice and beans at 3pm with friends at James’ (the nurse who works and lives at SJCC and is on exchange programme from Zambia)
- Writing a manual for the sponsorship programme
- Visiting Anifa and Zulea’s (twins in class 8, and being assisted through the sponsorship programme) grandmother’s home. Times are hard for her. She has a small business selling clothes to support 7 grandchildren, including Anifa and Zulea, but business is slow at the moment.
- Sorting files in the sponsorship programme
- Chips with Staizy (who interns at St John’s)
- Giggles delivering chai to the different offices with Naomi and Martha – two of the chai ladies.
- Goodbye party for Mary Kibe who’s been working in HIV/AIDS office for the past 8 years and is a real inspiration. She’ll be much missed.
- Coffee at Java (Kenyan equivalent of Starbucks)
- Cooking with Jacky (who volunteers at SJCC)
- Getting to know my new (but now old!) flatmate better. She’s from Denmark and working at SJCC until Christmas
- Moving into a new flat
- Getting to know my new new flatemate better! She’s from the UK but been in Kenya working with Turning Point (the charity I’m interning with) for the past 3 years
- Starting work with Turning Point: visiting the projects in Kibera slum and getting stuck in at the office
- Recommencing Kiswahili lessons
- Seeing old friends and making new ones